Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Clark

I was going to take out my entry about the district because I thought it a little too detailed, but then I remembered that I want details of our lives, so I'm putting it back in for my own records.

After months of wondering if I should get Clark checked out for his lack of verbal speech, I finally called Jordan Valley School District. And I'm so glad I did because I realized how much of Clark's tantrums are a result of being totally frustrated that he can't communicate all that he wants to. Of course many of his tantrums are the result of his wonderful age of 2 as well.

A lady from the district came to our house yesterday and did a test with Clark that tested his motor skills, expressive language, cognitive, and understanding skills. She had Clark jump, name objects, match shapes and colors, point to figures of a family, stack blocks, color, find hidden objects, and many other things. I was surprised at how much Clark knew and impressed that he scored so high (he is between the 75th and 90th percentile in all areas, but expressive language where he scored in the 5th percentile).

I still need to get his hearing checked, but things were left yesterday that we will have a speech/language pathologist come in 2x's each month. So, I am happy to learn some ways to help Clark get his speech rolling. The lady that did the testing said that she sees all the time, kids that are really smart, but they just can't express all that they are thinking and it gets so frustrating for them.

1 comment:

THE HAGES said...

I am so glad you put this post back on because I was beginning to think I was crazy. I remembered reading it and then it was gone. I can not wait for Clark to see Kinsey as a princess. Oh and post some more pictures of my little GARY! Lots of Love! Heidi